Finance and growth: Institutional Considerations and Causality
AbstractThis paper re-examines the question of causality between financial development and economic growth. We argue that recent results obtained from cross-section country studies are not able to address this issue satisfactorily. Drawing on the distinction between `bank- based' and `capital-market-based' financial systems and the literature on financial repression we also argue that country specific factors are likely to influence the causal nature of the relationship between financial development and economic growth; as a result this is expected to vary across countries. We conduct cointegration and causality tests using time series data for twelve representative countries which corroborate our analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of East London, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 9605.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Barking Campus, Longbridge Road, London RM8 2AS
Phone: 020 8223 2121
Web page: http://www.uel.ac.uk:80/faculties/socsci/economics
More information through EDIRC
Financial Development; Economic Growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid, 1999. "A quantitative reassessment of the finance-growth nexus: evidence from a multivariate VAR," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 381-405, December.
- Law, Siong Hook & Azman-Saini, W.N.W., 2008. "The Quality of Institutions and Financial Development," MPRA Paper 12107, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D. Saidane, 2005.
"The role of Financial Liberalization in Development: Weaknesses and Corrections,"
- D. Saidane, 2005. "The role of Financial Liberalization in Development: Weaknesses and Corrections," Finance 0503003, EconWPA.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/7670 is not listed on IDEAS
- Scholtens, Bert, 2000. "Financial regulation and financial system architecture in Central Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 525-553, April.
- Sikandar Hussain & M. Shahid Ebrahim, 2005. "Financial Development and Property Valuation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 24, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ilmolelian, Peter, 2005. "The determinants of the Harare Stock Exchange (HSE) market capitalisation," MPRA Paper 1418, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2002. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior : evidence from panel vector autoregression," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2913, The World Bank.
- Ilhan Ozturk, 2007. "Finance–Growth Nexus: Empirical Evidence from South Africa," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 3-17.
- Zaiter Lahimer, Mahjouba, 2011. "L’impact des entrées de capitaux privés sur la croissance économique dans les pays en développement," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/7670 edited by Sterdyniak, Henri, October.
- Peter Ilmolelian, 2005. "The Determinants of the Harare Stock Exchange (HSE) Market Capitalisation," Econometrics 0511016, EconWPA.
- Florian Pelgrin & Sebastian Schich, 2002. "Panel Cointegration Analysis of the Finance-Investment Link in OECD Countries," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2002-02, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- OZTURK, Ilhan, 2008. "Financial Development And Economic Growth: Evidence From Turkey," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 8(1), pages 85-98.
- Md abdul Wadud, 2009. "Financial development and economic growth: a cointegration and error-correction modeling approach for south Asian countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1670-1677.
- Andrew van Hulten & Michael Webber, 2010. "Do developing countries need 'good' institutions and policies and deep financial markets to benefit from capital account liberalization?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 283-319, March.
- Stefania Villa, 2005. "Determinants of growth in Italy. A time series analysis," Quaderni DSEMS 24-2005, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WoPEc Project).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.