Mergers And Acquisitions In The Portuguese Banking Industry: Is It There A Process Of Value Creation?
AbstractThis paper examines the valuation effects of mergers & acquisitions in the Portuguese banking industry from 1995 to 2003 over a 41-day (-20, +20) event window. Evidence shows some targets gains, but no gains for the bidders. The combined entity (target+bidder) shows no significant gains contradicting some other European studies but confirming the great majority of American research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0503002.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 02 Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 16
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Mergers and acquisitions (M&A); bidder; target; event window; shareholder value; abnormal returns;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jason Karceski & Steven Ongena & David C. Smith, 2005.
"The Impact of Bank Consolidation on Commercial Borrower Welfare,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 2043-2082, 08.
- Jason Karceski & Steven Ongena & David C. Smith, 2000. "The impact of bank consolidation on commercial borrower welfare," International Finance Discussion Papers 679, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Karceski, J. & Ongena, S. & Smith, D.C., 2000. "The Impact of Bank Consolidation on Commercial Borrower Welfare," Discussion Paper 2000-87, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Pilloff, Steven J, 1996. "Performance Changes and Shareholder Wealth Creation Associated with Mergers of Publicly Traded Banking Institutions," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 294-310, August.
- Marc Goergen & Luc Renneboog, 2004.
"Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-border Takeover Bids,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(1), pages 9-45.
- Goergen, Marc & Renneboog, Luc, 2003. "Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-Border Takeover Bids," EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers 20, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2002. "Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-Border Takeover Bids," Discussion Paper 2002-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.