Efficient Rank Reduction of Correlation Matrices
AbstractGeometric optimisation algorithms are developed that efficiently find the nearest low-rank correlation matrix. We show, in numerical tests, that our methods compare favourably to the existing methods in the literature. The connection with the Lagrange multiplier method is established, along with an identification of whether a local minimum is a global minimum. An additional benefit of the geometric approach is that any weighted norm can be applied. The problem of finding the nearest low-rank correlation matrix occurs as part of the calibration of multi-factor interest rate market models to correlation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0502007.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 11 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 21
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
geometric optimisation; correlation matrix; rank; LIBOR market model;
Other versions of this item:
- GrubiÅ¡iÄ‡, I. & Pietersz, R., 2005. "Efficient Rank Reduction of Correlation Matrices," Research Paper ERS-2005-009-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth Singleton, 2003. "Term Structure Dynamics in Theory and Reality," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 631-678, July.
- Frank de Jong & Joost Driessen & Antoon Pelsser, 2004.
"On the Information in the Interest Rate Term Structure and Option Prices,"
Review of Derivatives Research,
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 99-127, 08.
- Jong, F.C.J.M. de & Driessen, J. & Pelsser, A., 2004. "On the information in the interest rate term structure and option prices," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3159390, Tilburg University.
- Raoul Pietersz & Marcel Regenmortel, 2006.
"Generic market models,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 507-528, December.
- Raoul Pietersz & Marcel van Regenmortel, 2005. "Generic Market Models," Finance 0502009, EconWPA.
- Pietersz, R. & Regenmortel, M. van, 2005. "Generic Market Models," Research Paper ERS-2005-010-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Raoul Pietersz & Antoon Pelsser, 2005.
"A Comparison of Single Factor Markov-functional and Multi Factor Market Models,"
- Raoul Pietersz & Antoon Pelsser, 2010. "A comparison of single factor Markov-functional and multi factor market models," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 245-272, October.
- Pietersz, R. & Pelsser, A.A.J., 2005. "A Comparison of Single Factor Markov-Functional and Multi Factor Market Models," Research Paper ERS-2005-008-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Raoul Pietersz & Patrick Groenen, 2004.
"Rank reduction of correlation matrices by majorization,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(6), pages 649-662.
- Raoul Pietersz & Patrick J. F. Groenen, 2005. "Rank Reduction of Correlation Matrices by Majorization," Finance 0502006, EconWPA.
- Pietersz, R. & Groenen, P.J.F., 2004. "Rank reduction of correlation matrices by majorization," Econometric Institute Report EI 2004-11, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Massimo Morini & Nick Webber, 2006. "An EZI Method to Reduce the Rank of a Correlation Matrix in Financial Modelling," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 309-331.
- Ken-ichi Mitsui & Yoshio Tabata, 2006. "Random Correlation Matrix and De-Noising," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 06-26, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Sudhanshu K Mishra, 2013. "Global Optimization of Some Difficult Benchmark Functions by Host-Parasite Coevolutionary Algorithm," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 1-18.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.