Global Optimization of Some Difficult Benchmark Functions by Host-Parasite Coevolutionary Algorithm
AbstractThis paper proposes a novel method of global optimization based on host-parasite co-evolution. It also develops a Fortran-77 code for the algorithm. The algorithm has been tested on 100 benchmark functions (of which the results of 32 relatively harder problems have been reported). In its search ability, the proposed method is comparable to the Differential Evolution method of global optimization. The method has been used for solving the 'completing the incomplete correlation matrix' problem encountered in financial economics. It is found that the proposed methods as well as the Differential Evolution method solves the problem, but the proposed method provides results much faster than the Differential Evolution method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
cuckoo-host co-evolution; cuckoo search; global optimization; differential evolution; levy flight; benchmark functions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raoul Pietersz & Patrick J. F. Groenen, 2005.
"Rank Reduction of Correlation Matrices by Majorization,"
- Raoul Pietersz & Patrick Groenen, 2004. "Rank reduction of correlation matrices by majorization," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(6), pages 649-662.
- Pietersz, R. & Groenen, P.J.F., 2004. "Rank reduction of correlation matrices by majorization," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2004-11, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Ingram Olkin, 1981. "Range restrictions for product-moment correlation matrices," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 46(4), pages 469-472, December.
- Mishra, SK, 2006. "Global Optimization by Differential Evolution and Particle Swarm Methods: Evaluation on Some Benchmark Functions," MPRA Paper 1005, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mishra, SK, 2006.
"Performance of Differential Evolution and Particle Swarm Methods on Some Relatively Harder Multi-modal Benchmark Functions,"
1743, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mishra, SK, 2006. "Performance of Differential Evolution and Particle Swarm Methods on Some Relatively Harder Multi-modal Benchmark Functions," MPRA Paper 449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mishra, SK, 2004. "Optimal solution of the nearest correlation matrix problem by minimization of the maximum norm," MPRA Paper 1783, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Grubisic, I. & Pietersz, R., 2005.
"Efficient Rank Reduction of Correlation Matrices,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2005-009-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Mishra, SK, 2007. "Minimization of Keane’s Bump Function by the Repulsive Particle Swarm and the Differential Evolution Methods," MPRA Paper 3098, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 May 2007.
- Mishra, Sudhanshu, 2006. "Some new test functions for global optimization and performance of repulsive particle swarm method," MPRA Paper 2718, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chesney, Marc & Scott, Louis, 1989. "Pricing European Currency Options: A Comparison of the Modified Black-Scholes Model and a Random Variance Model," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 267-284, September.
- Mishra, SK, 2007. "Completing correlation matrices of arbitrary order by differential evolution method of global optimization: A Fortran program," MPRA Paper 2000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mishra, Sudhanshu K, 2014. "What happens if in the principal component analysis the Pearsonian is replaced by the Brownian coefficient of correlation?," MPRA Paper 56861, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.