A Note on Imposing Local Curvature on Generalized Leontief Models
AbstractIn this paper, we build on Ryan and Wales (1998) and Moschini (1999) and impose curvature conditions locally on the generalized Leontief model, introduced by Diewert (1974). In doing so, we exploit the Hessian matrix of second order derivatives of the reciprocal indirect utility function, unlike Ryan and Wales (1998) and Moschini (1999) who exploit the Slutsky matrix.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 0509020.
Date of creation: 28 Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Regularity; Slutsky matrix; Negative semidefinite;
Other versions of this item:
- Serletis, Apostolos & Shahmoradi, Asghar, 2007. "A Note On Imposing Local Curvature In Generalized Leontief Models," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 290-294, April.
- Apostolos Serletis & Asghar Shahmoradi, 2005. "A Note on Imposing Local Curvature in Generalized Leontief Models," GE, Growth, Math methods 0509005, EconWPA.
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1999.
"Imposing Local Curvature Conditions in Flexible Demand System,"
Staff General Research Papers
1745, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo, 1999. "Imposing Local Curvature Conditions in Flexible Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(4), pages 487-90, October.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1975. "Transcendental Logarithmic Utility Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 367-83, June.
- Diewert, W E & Wales, T J, 1988. "Normalized Quadratic Systems of Consumer Demand Functions," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 303-12, July.
- Ryan, David L & Wales, Terence J, 1998. "A Simple Method for Imposing Local Curvature in Some Flexible Consumer-Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 331-38, July.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Stephen M. Miller & Luis F. Martins & Rangan Gupta, 2014.
"A Time-Varying Approach of the US Welfare Cost of Inflation,"
201419, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Stephen M. Miller & Luis F. Martins & Rangan Gupta, 2014. "A Time-Varying Approach of the US Welfare Cost of Inflation," Working papers 2014-11, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Shahmoradi, Asghar, 2010. "Consumption effects of government purchases," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 892-905, September.
- Chang, Dongfeng & Serletis, Apostolos, 2012. "Imposing local curvature in the QUAIDS," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 41-43.
- Dongfeng Chang & Apostolos Serletis, 2014. "The Demand for Gasoline: Evidence from Household Survey Data," Working Papers 2012-10, Department of Economics, University of Calgary.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.