Atheoretical And Structural Approaches To Modelling Canadian-American Macroeconomic Interaction
AbstractMuch recent work on Canadian-American macroeconomic interaction utilizes the vector autoregression methodology advocated by Sims (1980). Examples include Burbidge and Harrison (1985), Kusczak and Murray (1986) and Ambler (1988). The Sims' methodology is severely criticized by Cooley and Leroy (1985) and Leamer (1985) because, as it is generally implemented and interpreted, including in the studies cited above, the models contain strong implicit identifying assumptions. Bernanke (1986), Blanchard (1986) and Sims (1986) propose alternative estimation techniques which, while retaining some of the advantages of the vector autoregression approach, make the identifying assumptions explicit. This paper uses both approaches to estimate models of Canadian-American macroeconomic interaction. The results show the method adopted does affect the interpretation of the results. The vector autoregression methodology is not free of the imposition of untestable identifying assumptions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 89133.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 75 University Ave. West, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3C5
Phone: (519) 884-0710 ext 2056
Fax: (519) 884-0201
Web page: http://www.wlu.ca/sbe/economics/
More information through EDIRC
macroeconomics ; economic models;
Other versions of this item:
- Johnson, David R & Schembri, Lawrence L, 1990. "Atheoretical and Structural Approaches to Modelling Canadian-American Macroeconomic Interaction," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 367-82.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Souki, Kaouthar, 2008. "Assessing the effects of U.S. shocks on the Canadian economy using alternative identification methods," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 193-213, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrei Kovacsik).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.