Dual Distribution and Differentiated Products
AbstractThis paper develops an approach to analyzing the equilibrium in markets where firms selling differentiated products can choose dual distribution to sell their products. Dual distribution involves a firm selling its product both through company owned stores and through independently operated franchises. In choosing the proportion of company owned versus franchise stores, in equilibrium, the firms have no incentive to alter this ratio given the proportions chosen by rival firms. The approach taken here in analyzing dual distribution is quite general and can be applied in a variety of settings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Winnipeg, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2011-04.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 2E9
Phone: (204) 786-9422
Fax: (204) 772-4183
Web page: http://economics.uwinnipeg.ca/RePEc/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-10-01 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2011-10-01 (Industrial Competition)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 2005.
"Targeting Managerial Control: Evidence from Franchising,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(1), pages 131-150, Spring.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 2001. "Targeting Managerial Control: Evidence from Franchising," NBER Working Papers 8416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gallini, Nancy T & Lutz, Nancy A, 1992. "Dual Distribution and Royalty Fees in Franchising," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 471-501, October.
- Bonanno, Giacomo & Vickers, John, 1988. "Vertical Separation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 257-65, March.
- Mathewson, G Frank & Winter, Ralph A, 1985. "The Economics of Franchise Contracts," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 503-26, October.
- Minkler, Alanson P., 1990. "An empirical analysis of a firm's decision to franchise," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 77-82, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Soham Baksi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.