Mobility Barriers and the Speed of Market Selection
AbstractThis paper studies the influence of mobility barriers on industry evolution using the stylised pure selection model developed by Metcalfe. It is shown that mobility barriers influence industry dynamics by reducing the speed of competitive selection. Based on the theoretical model, we argue that mobility barriers should lead to a reduction of market share reallocation dynamics in models that use replicator dynamics. We then test this prediction empirically, finding that industries with high mobility barriers have a larger share of stable firms that grow or decline only marginally, compared to industries with low mobility barriers. This has important implications for the interpretation of productivity decompositions. Our empirical results show that higher mobility barriers result in a lower contribution of reallocation to aggregate productivity growth in Austrian manufacturing industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by WIFO in its series WIFO Working Papers with number 437.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Intensity of competition; mobility barriers; sunk costs; selection dynamics; firm growth; reallocation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-10-13 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2012-10-13 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-URE-2012-10-13 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mariana Mazzucato & Paul A Geroski, 2001.
"Learning and the Sources of Corporate Growth,"
Open Discussion Papers in Economics
43, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2000. "Technological Regimes and Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 388-410, April.
- Mitsukuni Nishida & Amil Petrin & Sašo Polanec, 2011. "Explaining Reallocation's Apparent Negative Contribution to Growth," LICOS Discussion Papers 29911, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1980. "Exit Barriers are Entry Barriers: The Durability of Capital as a Barrier to Entry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 721-729, Autumn.
- Kessides, Ioannis N. & Tang, Li, 2011.
"Sunk costs, market contestability, and the size distribution of firms,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5540, The World Bank.
- Ioannis Kessides & Li Tang, 2010. "Sunk Costs, Market Contestability, and the Size Distribution of Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 215-236, November.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Werner Hölzl & Klaus Friesenbichler, 2010. "High-growth firms, innovation and the distance to the frontier," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1016-1024.
- Lucia Foster & John C. Haltiwanger & C. J. Krizan, 2001.
"Aggregate Productivity Growth. Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence,"
in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 303-372
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C.J. Krizan, 1998. "Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6803, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger & C J Krizan & Lucia Foster, 1998. "Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons From Microeconomic Evidence," Working Papers 98-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Martin Currie & Stan Metcalfe, 2001. "Firm routines, customer switching and market selection under duopoly," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 433-456.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1995. "Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 47-65, February.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Bartelsman, Eric & Haltiwanger, John C. & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2004.
"Microeconomic Evidence of Creative Destruction in Industrial and Developing Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1374, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bartelsman, Eric & Haltiwanger, John & Scarpetta1, Stefano, 2004. "Microeconomic evidence of creative destruction in industrial and developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3464, The World Bank.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger & Stefano Scarpetta, 2004. "Microeconomic Evidence of Creative Destruction in Industrial and Developing Countries," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-114/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006.
"Entrepreneurship and the Process of Firms’ Entry, Survival and Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and the process of firms’ entry, survival and growth," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 455-488, June.
- Audretsch, David B, 1991. "New-Firm Survival and the Technological Regime," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 441-50, August.
- Alex Coad, 2010. "Exploring the processes of firm growth: evidence from a vector auto-regression," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(6), pages 1677-1703, December.
- Baily, Martin Neil & Bartelsman, Eric J & Haltiwanger, John, 1996.
" Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 259-78, August.
- Martin Neil Baily & Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," NBER Working Papers 4741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger & Martin N Baily & Eric J Bartelsman, 1994. "Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," Working Papers 94-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Martin N. Baily & Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "Downsizing and productivity growth: myth or reality?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Asplund, Marcus, 2000.
"What Fraction of a Capital Investment Is Sunk Costs?,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 287-304, September.
- Asplund, Marcus, 1995. "What Fraction of a Capital Investment is Sunk Cost?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 68, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 24 Sep 1999.
- Carmen Pagés-Serra & Stefano Scarpetta & Gaëlle Pierre, . "Job Creation in Latin America and the Caribbean: Recent Trends and Policy Challenges," IDB Publications 59978, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Serguei Kaniovski, 2005.
"Product Differentiation and Competitive Selection,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Alex Coad & Werner Hölzl, 2009. "On the Autocorrelation of Growth Rates," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 139-166, June.
- Winter, Sidney G., 1984. "Schumpeterian competition in alternative technological regimes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 287-320.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000.
"Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003. "Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Serguei Kaniovski & Michael Peneder, 2008. "Determinants of firm survival: a duration analysis using the generalized gamma distribution," Empirica, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 41-58, March.
- Elizabeth Garnsey & Erik Stam & Paul Heffernan, 2006.
"New Firm Growth: Exploring Processes and Paths,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 1-20.
- Garnsey, E. & Stam, F.C. & Heffernan, P. & Hugo, O., 2003. "New Firm Growth: Exploring Processes and Paths," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-096-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2003. "Benefit duration and unemployment entry: A quasi-experiment in Austria," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 259-273, April.
- John Van Reenen, 2010.
"Does Competition Raise Productivity Through Improving Management Quality?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1036, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Van Reenen, John, 2011. "Does competition raise productivity through improving management quality?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 306-316, May.
- Silverberg, Gerald & Dosi, Giovanni & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1988. "Innovation, Diversity and Diffusion: A Self-organisation Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1032-54, December.
- Mueller, Dennis C, 1977. "The Persistence of Profits above the Norm," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(176), pages 369-80, November.
- Cabral, Luis, 1995. "Sunk Costs, Firm Size and Firm Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 161-72, June.
- Metcalfe, J S, 1994. "Competition, Fisher's Principle and Increasing Returns in the Selection Process," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 327-46, November.
- Valerie A. Ramey & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2001. "Displaced Capital: A Study of Aerospace Plant Closings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 958-992, October.
- Werner Hölzl & Peter Huber, 2009. "An Anatomy of Firm Level Job Creation Rates over the Business Cycle," WIFO Working Papers 348, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.