The mechanics and regulation of variable payout annuities
AbstractThis paper discusses the mechanics and regulation of participating and unit-linked variable payout annuities. These annuities offer benefits that are not fixed in either nominal or real terms but depend on the performance of the fund or funds in which the underlying reserve assets are invested, their profit sharing features, and the treatment of longevity risk. The paper focuses on the treatment of investment and longevity risks by different types of these annuities and underscores the challenge of establishing a robust and effective framework of regulation and supervision for these products. The paper also addresses the exposure of annuitants to integrity risk and places special emphasis on the need for a high level of meaningful transparency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5762.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Debt Markets; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Investment and Investment Climate; Pensions&Retirement Systems; Non Bank Financial Institutions;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-08-22 (Banking)
- NEP-IAS-2011-08-22 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-REG-2011-08-22 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Rocha & Craig Thorburn, 2007. "Developing Annuities Markets : The Experience of Chile," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7162, August.
- Laura Ballotta & Steven Haberman & Nan Wang, 2006. "Guarantees in With-Profit and Unitized With-Profit Life Insurance Contracts: Fair Valuation Problem in Presence of the Default Option," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 97-121.
- Roberto Rocha & Dimitri Vittas & Heinz P. Rudolph, 2011. "Annuities and Other Retirement Products : Designing the Payout Phase," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2272, August.
- Mussio, Irene & Cardinale, Mirko, 2007. "Developing Annuities Markets: The Experience of Chile. Roberto Rocha and Craig Thorburn. The World Bank, 2006, ISBN 0-8213-6666-1, 288 pages," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 354-356, November.
- Hans-Martin von Gaudecker & Carsten Weber, 2004.
"Surprises in a Growing Market Niche: An Evaluation of the German Private Life Annuities Market,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 394-416, July.
- Hans-Martin von Gaudecker & Carsten Weber, 2004. "Surprises in a Growing Market Niche: An Evaluation of the German Private Life Annuities Market," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 394-416, 07.
- Grosen, Anders & J Rgensen, Peter L Chte, 2002. "The bonus-crediting mechanism of Danish pension and life insurance companies: an empirical analysis," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 249-268, November.
- Vittas, Dimitri & Impavido, Gregorio & O'Connor, Ronan, 2008. "Upgrading the investment policy framework of public pension funds," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4499, The World Bank.
- David Blake, 2003.
"The United Kingdom pension system: key issues,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library
24851, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Blake, David, 2001. "The United Kingdom Pension System: Key Issues," Discussion Paper, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University 15, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- John Ameriks & Andrew Caplin & Steven Laufer & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2011. "The Joy of Giving or Assisted Living? Using Strategic Surveys to Separate Public Care Aversion from Bequest Motives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 66(2), pages 519-561, 04.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Valdes-Prieto, Salvador, 1998. "Risks in pensions and annuities : efficient designs," Social Protection Discussion Papers 20847, The World Bank.
- John Ameriks & Andrew Caplin & Steven Laufer & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2007. "The Joy of Giving or Assisted Living? Using Strategic Surveys to Separate Bequest and Precautionary Motives," NBER Working Papers 13105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donnelly, Catherine & Guillén, Montserrat & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2013. "Exchanging uncertain mortality for a cost," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 65-76.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.