Design and implementation of environmental performance rating and public disclosure programs : a summary of issues and recommendations based on experiences in East Asian countries
AbstractA number of countries around the world have in recent years implemented environmental performance rating and public disclosure programs, and, where evidence is available, these programs have been shown to induce pollution reduction. Based on previous research and practical experiences from several Asian countries, this paper provides a systematic review and discussion of the practical issues involved in designing and implementing environmental performance rating and public disclosure programs, including the legal and institutional framework, scope and coverage determination, performance rating methodology, data collection and verification, disclosure strategy, credibility assurance, program set-up and expansion, etc. The authors offer comments and recommendations, where appropriate, for environmental regulators to tackle these practical issues. The reviews and discussions are intended to be concise, simple, and systematic, and alternative options are discussed in a succinct manner, so that they can be readily used by interested environmental regulators and researchers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5551.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Environmental Economics&Policies; Brown Issues and Health; Water and Industry; Energy Production and Transportation; Environmental Governance;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2011-02-05 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2011-02-05 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jin, Yanhong & Wang, Hua & Wheeler, David, 2010. "The impact of environmental performance rating and disclosure: an empirical analysis of perceptions by polluting firms'managers in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5419, The World Bank.
- Jin, Yanhong & Wang, Hua & Wheeler, David, 2010. "Environmental performance rating and disclosure : an empirical investigation of China's green watch program," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5420, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.