HDR 2011 - Sustainability and Equity: A Better Future for All
AbstractThe 2011 Human Development Report argues that the urgent global challenges of sustainability and equity must be addressed together – and identifies policies on the national and global level that could spur mutually reinforcing progress towards these interlinked goals. Bold action is needed on both fronts, the Report contends, if the recent human development progress for most of the world’s poor majority is to be sustained, for the benefit of future generations as well as for those living today. Past Reports have shown that living standards in most countries have been rising - and converging - for several decades now. Yet the 2011 Report projects a disturbing reversal of those trends if environmental deterioration and social inequalities continue to intensify, with the least developed countries diverging downwards from global patterns of progress by 2050.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in its series Human Development Report (1990 to present) with number hdr2011 and published in 2011.
human development; inequality; equity; sustainability; environment; climate change;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A0 - General Economics and Teaching - - General
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- D0 - Microeconomics - - General
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
- I0 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
- K0 - Law and Economics - - General
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
- L3 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
- Q0 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- Y1 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Data: Tables and Charts
- Y8 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Related Disciplines
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miklós Szanyi, 2013. "Large-Scale Transformation of Socio-Economic Institutions - Comparative Case Studies on CEECs. Background Paper 3: Varieties of Capitalism and CEECs," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 19, WWWforEurope.
- Burz Razvan-Dorin, 2012. "A Comparative Analysis Of Social Protection Expenditure Across Europe," Annals - Economy Series, Constantin Brancusi University, Faculty of Economics, vol. 4, pages 83-88, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HDRO/UNDP).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.