Regional approaches to better standards systems
AbstractDeveloping countries face an increasing need to upgrade the standards of their domestic markets and of their exports. This paper examines different approaches available to them for upgrading their standards and conformity assessment procedures. It focuses particularly on those followed within the context of regional trade agreements (RTAs), as these are yielding promising results. Based on interviews performed in Latin America and on previous literature, the paper draws common features of a RTA standard and conformity assessment upgrading and harmonization process, identifies some of its main challenges, and suggests principles that developing countries could follow in such a process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3948.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Trade and Regional Integration; Environmental Economics&Policies; Public Sector Regulation; Standards and Technical Regulations; Administrative&Regulatory Law;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-07-02 (Development)
- NEP-ENV-2006-07-02 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-INT-2006-07-02 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dorrucci, Ettore & Firpo, Stefano & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2002. "European integration: what lessons for other regions? The case of Latin America," Working Paper Series 0185, European Central Bank.
- Maggie Xiaoyang Chen & Aaditya Mattoo, 2008.
"Regionalism in standards: good or bad for trade?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(3), pages 838-863, August.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2004. "Regionalism in standards - good or bad for trade?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3458, The World Bank.
- Maggie X. Chen & Aaditya Mattoo, 2008. "Regionalism in Standards: Good or Bad for Trade?," Working Papers 2009-14, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Hufbauer, Gary Clyde & Kotschwar, Barbara & Wilson,John S., 2001. "Trade policy, standards, and development in Central America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2576, The World Bank.
- Swann, Peter & Temple, Paul & Shurmer, Mark, 1996. "Standards and Trade Performance: The UK Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1297-1313, September.
- Raballand, Gael & Aldaz-Carroll, Enrique, 2005.
"How do differing standards increase trade costs? The case of pallets,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3519, The World Bank.
- Ga�l Raballand & Enrique Aldaz-Carroll, 2007. "How Do Differing Standards Increase Trade Costs? The Case of Pallets," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 685-702, 04.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S. & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2001. "Saving two in a billion: : quantifying the trade effect of European food safety standards on African exports," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 495-514, October.
- Jaffee, Steven & Henson, Spencer, 2004. "Standards and agro-food exports from developing countries: rebalancing the debate," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3348, The World Bank.
- Matthew Shearer & Juliana Salles Almeida & Carlos H. Gutiérrez Jr., 2009. "The Treatment of Agriculture in Regional Trade Agreements in the Americas," IDB Publications 23538, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Matthew Shearer & Juliana Salles Almeida & Carlos H. Gutiérrez Jr., 2009. "The Treatment of Agriculture in Regional Trade Agreements in the Americas," IDB Publications 26158, Inter-American Development Bank.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Louis Racine & Isabel Sánchez & Makhtar Diop, 2007. "Quality Systems and Standards for a Competitive Edge," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6768, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.