Rapid onset natural disasters : The role of financing in effective risk management
AbstractThe authors provide a conceptual framework for designing a comprehensive risk management strategy for rapid onset natural disasters at the country level, with a particular emphasis on the role of catastrophe loss funding. The authors discuss the key policy and technical issues involved in building financially sustainable catastrophe risk transfer and funding programs in disaster prone countries and their links to risk mitigation. They also deal with the cognitive and political economy issues that are likely to arise and ways to accommodate them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3278.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Payment Systems&Infrastructure; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Environmental Economics&Policies; Banks&Banking Reform; Hazard Risk Management; Non Bank Financial Institutions; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Banks&Banking Reform; Environmental Economics&Policies;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ghesquiere, Francis & Mahul, Olivier, 2007. "Sovereign natural disaster insurance for developing countries : a paradigm shift in catastrophe risk financing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4345, The World Bank.
- Margaret Grosh & Carlo del Ninno & Emil Tesliuc & Azedine Ouerghi, 2008. "For Protection and Promotion : The Design and Implementation of Effective Safety Nets," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6582, October.
- World Bank, 2005. "Managing Food Price Risks and Instability in an Environment of Market Liberalization," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8264, The World Bank.
- Mahul, Olivier & Gurenko, Eugene, 2006. "The macro financing of natural hazards in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4075, The World Bank.
- Haitao Yin, 2013. "Insurance Approach for Financing Extreme Climate Event Losses in China: A Status Analysis," EEPSEA Research Report rr2013035, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Mar 2013.
- Eugene Gurenko & Rodney Lester & Olivier Mahul & Serap Oguz Gonulal, 2006. "Earthquake Insurance in Turkey : History of the Turkish Catastrophe Insurance Pool," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7142, October.
- repec:idb:brikps:11118 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alderman, Harold & Haque, Trina, 2006. "Countercyclical safety nets for the poor and vulnerable," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 372-383, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.