The state of corporate governance - experience from country assessments
AbstractCorporate governance deals with the ways in which the rights of outside suppliers of equity finance to corporations are protected and receive a fair return. Good practices reduce the risk of expropriation of outsiders by insiders and thus the cost of capital for issuers. The authors review the experience of the preparation of 15 corporate governance country assessments across five continents. The assessments have been prepared under the umbrella of the joint World Bank/IMF initiative of the"Reports on the Observance of Standards and Codes"(ROSCs). The assessments focus on the rights of shareholders, the equitable treatment of shareholders, the role of stakeholders, disclosure and transparency, and the duties of the board of listed companies, and use the OECD Principles of Corporate Governance as benchmark. The authors give an overview of the actual and potential contribution of the assessments to policy dialogue, diagnostic and strategic work, lending and non-lending operations, and technical assistance and capacity,and presents the unfinished agenda.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 2858.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2002
Date of revision:
Decentralization; Payment Systems&Infrastructure; Small Scale Enterprise; International Terrorism&Counterterrorism; Small and Medium Size Enterprises; Small Scale Enterprise; Private Participation in Infrastructure; Financial Crisis Management&Restructuring; National Governance; Microfinance;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Harabi, Najib, 2007. "State of Corporate Governance in Arab Countries: An Overview," MPRA Paper 4566, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stergios Leventis & Panagiotis Dimitropoulos, 2012. "The role of corporate governance in earnings management: experience from US banks," Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 161-177.
- Themistokles Lazarides, 2010. "Corporate governance law effect in Greece," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(4), pages 370-385, November.
- Mario, Cuevas, 2007. "A Practical Guide to the Assessment of the Vulnerability of the Non-Financial Private Sector," MPRA Paper 1375, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk, 2005.
"Corporate Governance and Ownership: Measurement and Impact on Corporate Performance and Dividend Policies in Argentina,"
Research Department Publications
3212, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Ownership: Measurement and Impact on Corporate Performance and Dividend Policies in Argentina," Department of Economics, Working Papers 059, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.