A Practical Guide to the Assessment of the Vulnerability of the Non-Financial Private Sector
AbstractThe paper proposes a practical guide to the evaluation of the financial and non-financial vulnerability of the private sector (excluding financial entities). It describes step by step the sequence of issues that should be examined to assess the level of vulnerability of the private sector, including factors arising from the financial markets, country-risk, common risk management practices in the corporate sector, and the general environment for corporate restructuring and governance. The paper also provides useful references for those seeking further information on a specific aspect of the vulnerability of the non-financial private sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1375.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in Banca & Finanzas: Documentos de Trabajo 2.1(2007): pp. 1-18
financial vulnerability; financial risk; country risk; corporate restructuring; corporate governance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paredes M., Ricardo, 2001. "Redistributive Impact of Privatization and the Regulation of Utilities in Chile," Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ajit Singh, 2003.
"Competition, corporate governance and selection in emerging markets,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages F443-F464, November.
- Ajit Singh, 2002. "Competition, corporate governance and selection in emerging markets," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers, ESRC Centre for Business Research wp247, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Michael Klein, 1998. "Bidding for Concessions : The Impact of Contract Design," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11527, The World Bank.
- Henry Hansmann & Reinier Kraakman, 2000. "The End Of History For Corporate Law," Yale School of Management Working Papers, Yale School of Management ysm136, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Feb 2001.
- Capaul, Mierta & Fremond, Olivier, 2002. "The state of corporate governance - experience from country assessments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2858, The World Bank.
- Kerf, M. & Gray, R.D. & Irwin, T. & Levesque, C. & Taylor, R.R. & Klein, M., 1998. "Concessions for Infrastructure. A Guide to their Design and Award," Papers, World Bank - Technical Papers 399, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Audra L. Boone & J. Harold Mulherin, 2001. "Valuing the Process of Corporate Restructuring," Claremont Colleges Working Papers, Claremont Colleges 2001-22, Claremont Colleges.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene M., 2004.
"Why Do Countries Matter So Much for Corporate Governance?,"
Working Paper Series, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics
2004-16, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Doidge, Craig & Andrew Karolyi, G. & Stulz, Rene M., 2007. "Why do countries matter so much for corporate governance?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-39, October.
- Rene M. Stulz & Craig Doidge & Andrew Karolyi, 2004. "Why Do Countries Matter So Much for Corporate Governance?," NBER Working Papers 10726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turkson, John & Wohlgemuth, Norbert, 2001. "Power sector reform and distributed generation in sub-Saharan Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 135-145, January.
- Kishi, Masumi, 2003. "Foreign direct investment by Japanese firms and corporate governance: in relation to the monetary policies of China, Korea and Japan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 731-748, January.
- Timothy Irwin, 2003. "Public Money for Private Infrastructure : Deciding When to Offer Guarantees, Output-based Subsidies, and Other Fiscal Support," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15117, August.
- Morris Bornstein, 2000. "Post-Privatization Enterprise Restructuring," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 327, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Cornelius, Peter K., 2004. "Corporate practices and national governance systems: what do country rankings tell us?," Research Notes 16, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Ziegel, Jacob S. (ed.), 1994. "Current Developments in International and Comparative Corporate Insolvency Law," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780198258964, October.
- Philip Gray & Timothy Irwin, 2003. "Exchange Rate Risk : Allocating Exchange Rate Risk in Private Infrastructure Projects," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11286, The World Bank.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2005. "The role of ratings in structured finance: issues and implications," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 23.
- Trevor Buck & Azura Shahrim, 2005. "The translation of corporate governance changes across national cultures: the case of Germany," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(1), pages 42-61, January.
- Philip Gray, 1997. "Colombia's Gradualist Approach to Private Participation in Infrastructure," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11587, The World Bank.
- Ehrhardt, David & Irwin Timothy, 2004. "Avoiding customer and taxpayer bailouts in private infrastructure projects : Policy toward leverage, risk allocation, and bankruptcy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3274, The World Bank.
- Michael Klein & Jae So & Ben Shin, 1996. "Transaction Costs in Private Infrastructure Projects - Are They Too High?," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11605, The World Bank.
- Klein, Michael, 1998. "Bidding for concessions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1957, The World Bank.
- Klaus Gugler & Dennis C. Mueller & B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2003. "The Impact of Corporate Governance on Investment Returns in Developed and Developing Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages F511-F539, November.
- Ioannis N. Kessides, 2004. "Reforming Infrastructure : Privatization, Regulation, and Competition," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13525, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.