Measuring governance and service delivery in safety net programs
AbstractThis paper develops a framework to assess organizational performance in the delivery of social safety nets. Specifically, it provides guidance to task teams and program managers for identifying indicators of governance and service quality in targeted cash transfer programs. The paper identifies governance issues along the results chain of service delivery and suggests policyand performance indicators for assessing program inputs, human resources, financing and resource management; and program activities, operational procedures, Management Information Systems (MIS) and control. It also suggests indicators of organizational performance and the quality of outputs, including demand-side accountability mechanisms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Social Protection Discussion Papers with number 64633.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Governance Indicators; National Governance; Public Sector Expenditure Policy; Public Sector Corruption&Anticorruption Measures; Safety Nets and Transfers;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-01 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiszbein, Ariel & Ringold, Dena & Rogers, F. Halsey, 2011. "Making services work : indicators, assessments, and benchmarking of the quality and governance of public service delivery in the human development sectors," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5690, The World Bank.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart, 2007.
"Governance indicators : where are we, where should we be going ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4370, The World Bank.
- Daniel Kaufmann & Aart Kraay, 2008. "Governance Indicators: Where Are We, Where Should We Be Going?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart, 2008. "Governance Indicators: Where Are We, Where Should We Be Going?," MPRA Paper 8212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lewis, Maureen & Pettersson, Gunilla, 2009. "Governance in health care delivery : raising performance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5074, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.