Risk and vulnerability : the forward looking role of social protection in a globalizing world
AbstractThe paper outlines a forward-looking role of social protection against the background of increasing concerns about risk, and vulnerability, exemplified by the recent East Asian crisis, the concerns of the World Development Report (WDR) 2000, the need for a better understanding of poverty dynamics, and the opportunity and risks created by globalization. These considerations, and the need for a more proactive approach to lasting poverty reduction, have led to the development of a new conceptual framework, which casts social protection as social risk management. The paper highlights the main elements of the new conceptual framework, and its main strategic conclusions for attacking poverty, before addressing crucial issues for its implementation: the need for an operational definition of vulnerability; the use of social risk assessments as an operational entry point for a new policy dialogue; economic crisis management, and the lessons for social protection; and, the undertaking of social expenditure reviews to enhance the effectiveness of government intervention for addressing risk and vulnerability. The pilot experience with some of these elements, yields cautious optimism that a promising road for addressing poverty has been found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Social Protection Discussion Papers with number 23161.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2001
Date of revision:
Environmental Economics&Policies; Social Risk Management; Health Economics&Finance; Poverty Assessment; Insurance&Risk Mitigation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baiyegunhi, L.J.S. & Fraser, Gavin C.G., 2010. "Determinants of Household Poverty Dynamics in Rural Regions of the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 97078, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Omar D. Cardona, 2005. "Indicators of Disaster Risk and Risk Management," IDB Publications 14478, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Ahuja, Rajeev & Jutting, Johannes Paul, 2003. "Are The Poor Too Poor To Demand Health Insurance?," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25821, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alderman,Harold & Hoddinott, John & Kinsey, Bill, 2003.
"Long-term consequences of early childhood malnutrition,"
FCND discussion papers
168, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Harold Alderman & John Hoddinott & Bill Kinsey, 2006. "Long term consequences of early childhood malnutrition," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 450-474, July.
- Harold Alderman & John Hoddinott & Bill Kinsey, 2004. "Long Term Consequences Of Early Childhood Malnutrition," HiCN Working Papers 09, Households in Conflict Network.
- Alderman,Harold & Hoddinott, John & Kinsey, Bill, 2003. "Long-term consequences of early childhood malnutrition," FCND briefs 168, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Robert Holzmann & Steen Jørgensen, 2001.
"Social Risk Management: A New Conceptual Framework for Social Protection, and Beyond,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 529-556, August.
- Robert Holzmann & Steen Jorgensen, 2000. "Social risk management : a new conceptual framework for social protection and beyond," Social Protection Discussion Papers 21314, The World Bank.
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), 2010. "Indicators of Disaster Risk and Risk Management: Program for Latin America and the Caribbean: Summary Report," IDB Publications 42098, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Emiliano Magrini & Pierluigi Montalbano, 2012. "Trade openness and vulnerability to poverty: Vietnam in the long-run (1992-2008)," Working Paper Series 3512, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Vakis, Renos, 2006. "Complementing natural disasters management : the role of social protection," Social Protection Discussion Papers 35378, The World Bank.
- Thitiwan Sricharoen & Gertrud Buchenrieder & Thomas Dufhues, 2008. "Universal health-care demands in rural Northern Thailand: gender and ethnicity," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, June.
- Alejandro de la Fuente, 2007. "Private and Public Responses to Climate Shocks," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2007-22, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.