Moment Conditions and Neglected Endogeneity in Panel Data Models
AbstractThis paper develops a new moment condition for estimation of linear panel data models. When added to the set of instruments devised by Anderson, Hsiao (1981, 1982) for the dynamic model, the proposed approach can outperform the GMM methods customarily employed for estimation. The proposal builds on the properties of the iterated GLS, that, contrary to conventional wisdom, can lead to a consistent estimator in particular cases where endogeneity of the explanatory variables is neglected. The targets achieved are a reduction in the number of moment conditions and a better performance over the most widely adopted techniques.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Verona, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 02/2011.
Date of creation: Feb 2011
Date of revision:
panel data; dynamic model; GMM estimation; endogeneity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsiao,Cheng, 2003.
"Analysis of Panel Data,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521818551, December.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Sampoli, Letizia, 1993. "A Curious Result on Exact FIML and Instrumental Variables," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 296-309, April.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Laura Magazzini, 2013. "A powerful test of mean stationarity in dynamic models for panel data: Monte Carlo evidence," Working Papers 14/2013, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Laura Magazzini & Giorgio Calzolari, 2012. "Identification of linear panel data models when instruments are not available," Working Papers 06/2012, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Reiter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.