The Big Mac Index Two Decades On An Evaluation Of Burgernomics
AbstractThe Big Mac Index, introduced by The Economist magazine more than two decades ago, claims to provide the “true value” of a large number of currencies. This paper assesses the economic value of this index. We show that (i) the index suffers from a substantial bias; (ii) once the bias is allowed for, the index tracks exchange rates reasonably well over the medium to longer term in accordance with relative purchasing power parity theory; (iii) the index is at least as good as the industry standard, the random walk model, in predicting future currency values for all but shortterm horizons; and (iv) future nominal exchange rates are more responsive than prices to currency mispricing. While not perfect, at a cost of less than $US10 per year, the index seems to provide good value for money.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics in its series Economics Discussion / Working Papers with number 10-14.
Length: 103 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, W.A. 6009
Phone: (08) 9380 2918
Fax: (08) 9380 1016
Web page: http://www.business.uwa.edu.au/school/disciplines/economics
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kenneth W. Clements & Yihui Lan & Shi Pei Seah, 2012. "The Big Mac Index two decades on: an evaluation of burgernomics," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 31-60, 01.
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2010-09-18 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2010-09-18 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Clements, Kenneth W. & Lan, Yihui, 2010.
"A new approach to forecasting exchange rates,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1424-1437, November.
- Kenneth W Clements & Yihui Lan, 2006. "A New Approach to Forecasting Exchange Rates," Economics Discussion / Working Papers, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics 06-29, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shane Standley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.