Fourth Moment Structure of a Family of First-Order Exponential GARCH Models
AbstractIn this paper we consider the fourth moment structure of a class of first-order Exponential GARCH models. This class contains as special cases both the standard Exponential GARCH model and the symmetric and asymmetric Logarithmic GARCH one. Conditions for the existence of any arbitrary moment are given. Furthermore, the expressions for the kurtosis and the autocorrelations of squared observations are derived. The properties of the autocorrelations of squared observations are derived. The properties of the autocorrelation structure are discussed and compared to those of the standard first-order GARCH process. In particular, it is seen that, contrary to the standard GARCH case, the decay rate of the autocorrelations is not constant and that the rate can be quite rapid in the beginning, depending on the parameters of the model.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Research Paper Series with number 29.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1999
Date of revision:
autocorrelation function of squared observations; conditional variance model; heavy tails; exponential GARCH; logarithmic GARCH;
Other versions of this item:
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo & Malmsten, Hans, 1999. "Fourth Moment Structure of a Family of First-Order Exponential GARCH Models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 345, Stockholm School of Economics.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2006.
"A family of autoregressive conditional duration models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2002. "A Family of Autoregressive Conditional Duration Models," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 440, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- FERNANDES, Marcelo & GRAMMIG, Joachim, 2001. "A family of autoregressive conditional duration models," CORE Discussion Papers 2001036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2003. "A family of autoregressive conditional duration models," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 501, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- M. Angeles Carnero & Daniel Peña & Esther Ruiz, 2001. "Outliers And Conditional Autoregressive Heteroscedasticity In Time Series," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws010704, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Menelaos Karanasos, .
"The Covariance Structure of Mixed ARMA Models,"
00/10, Department of Economics, University of York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.