On the Pricing and Hedging of Long Dated Zero Coupon Bonds
AbstractThe pricing and hedging of long dated derivative contracts is a challenging area of research. As a result of utility indifference pricing for general payoffs the growth optimal portfolio turns out to be the appropriate numeraire or benchmark with the real world probability measure as corresponding pricing measure. This concept of real world pricing can be applied for valuing long dated derivatives. An equivalent risk neutral probability measure does not need to exist under this benchmark approach. This paper develops a parsimonious model for a stock index dynamics, which is based on a time transformed squared Bessel process. It uses a diversified world stock index as proxy for the growth optimal portfolio. Surprisingly low prices result for long dated zero coupon bonds that can be replicated using historical data. Such prices and hedges are difficult to explain under the prevailing risk neutral approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Research Paper Series with number 185.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.business.uts.edu.au/qfrc/index.html
More information through EDIRC
growth optimal portfolio; benckmark approach; real world pricing; expected utility maximization; utility indifference pricing; long dated zero coupon bonds; minimal market model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2006-10-14 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-10-14 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-UPT-2006-10-14 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckhard Platen, 2006.
"A Benchmark Approach To Finance,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 131-151.
- I. Bajeux-Besnainou & R. Portait, 1997. "The numeraire portfolio: a new perspective on financial theory," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 291-309.
- Constantinides, George M, 1992. "A Theory of the Nominal Term Structure of Interest Rates," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(4), pages 531-52.
- Kevin Fergusson & Eckhard Platen, 2005. "On the Distributional Characterization of Log-returns of a World Stock Index," Research Paper Series 153, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"Diversified Portfolios with Jumps in a Benchmark Framework,"
Asia-Pacific Financial Markets,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004. "Diversified Portfolios with Jumps in a Benchmark Framework," Research Paper Series 129, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Geman, Hélyette & Carr, Peter & Madan, Dilip B. & Yor, Marc, 2003. "Stochastic Volatility for Levy Processes," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1392, Paris Dauphine University.
- Dirk Becherer, 2001. "The numeraire portfolio for unbounded semimartingales," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 327-341.
- Platen, Eckhard, 2000.
"A minimal financial market model,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2000,91, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Eckhard Platen, 2003. "A Benchmark Framework for Risk Management," Research Paper Series 113, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/1392 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eckhard Platen, 2001. "Arbitrage in Continuous Complete Markets," Research Paper Series 72, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Long, John Jr., 1990. "The numeraire portfolio," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 29-69, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.