Orderings of Opportunity Sets
AbstractWe consider an extension of the class of multi-utility hyper-relations, the class of semidecent hyper-relations. A semi-decent hyper-relation satisfies monotonicity, stability with respect to contraction, and the union property. We analyze the class of semi-decent hyper-relations both associating them to an appropriate class of choice functions and considering decomposition of a decent relations via 'elementary' ones. Doing so, we consider images in the set of choice functions of three subclasses of semi-decent hyper-relations: the decent hyper-relations, the transitive decent hyper-relations , and transitive decent hyper-relations which satisfy the condition LE of lattice equivalence. We prove that the image of the set of decent hyper-relations coincides with of the set of heritage choice functions; the image of the set of transitive decent hyper-relations coincides with the set of closed choice functions; the image of the set of transitive decent hyper-relations which satisfy the LE coincides with the set of Plott functions. We consider, for each of the above subclasses of hyper-relations, the problem of the decomposition of a given hyper-relation into `elementary' ones, namely the representation of a given hyper-relation as the intersection of `elementary'ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Siena in its series Department of Economics University of Siena with number 660.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Hyper-relations; Opportuntiy sets; Preference for flexibility;
Other versions of this item:
- D01 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Microeconomic Behavior: Underlying Principles
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard Monjardet & Vololonirina Raderanirina, 2004.
"Lattices of choice functions and consensus problems,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 349-382, December.
- Bernard Monjardet & Raderanirina Vololonirina, 2004. "Lattices of choice functions and consensus problems," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00203346, HAL.
- Caspard, N. & Monjardet, B., 2000. "The Lattice of Closure Systems, Closure Operators and Implicational Systems on a Finite Set : A Survey," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 2000.120, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Puppe, Clemens, 1996. "An Axiomatic Approach to "Preference for Freedom of Choice"," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 174-199, January.
- Clemens Puppe & Yongsheng Xu, 2010. "Essential alternatives and freedom rankings," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 669-685, October.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00203346 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.