Edgeworth on the Foundations of Ethics and Probability
AbstractThis paper analyses the foundation of utilitarian ethics and theory of probability in the works of Francis Y. Edgeworth. We argue that he pursued an unitary philosophical project, the search for a common epistemological foundation for the social sciences. The common root of the disciplines is the notion of “hereditary experience” derived from Herbert Spencer’s work. We suggest that this reconstruction can modify the overall interpretation of Edgeworth’s thought.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Siena in its series Department of Economics University of Siena with number 427.
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision:
F.Y. Edgeworth; Probability; Utilitarianism;
Other versions of this item:
- Alberto Baccini, 2007. "Edgeworth on the foundations of ethics and probability," European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 79-96.
- B13 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Neoclassical through 1925 (Austrian, Marshallian, Walrasian, Stockholm School)
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- B40 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Baccini, 2004. "High pressure and black clouds: Keynes and the frequentist theory of probability," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 653-666, September.
- Drakopoulos, Stavros A. & Katselidis, Ioannis, 2013. "From Edgeworth to Econophysics: A Methodological Perspective," MPRA Paper 46975, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.