Designing the Optimal Conservativeness of the Central Bank
AbstractIn this paper we propose a new measure of the degree of conservativeness of an inde- pendent central bank and we derive the optimal value from the social welfare perspective. We show that the mere appointment of an independent central bank is not enough to achieve lower inflation, which may explain the mixed results found between central bank independence and inflation in the empirical literature. Further, the optimal central bank should not be too conservative. For instance, we will show that in some circumstances it will be optimal that the central bank is less conservative than society in the Rogoff sense. JEL classification: E58, E63. Keywords: Central bank; Conservativeness; Independence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2072/179623.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Bancs centrals; 35 - Administració pública. Govern. Assumptes militars;
Other versions of this item:
- Montserrat Ferre & Carolina Manzano, 2012. "Designing the optimal conservativeness of the central bank," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1461-1473.
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-02-20 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2012-02-20 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jakob de Haan, 1997.
"The European Central Bank: Independence, accountability and strategy: A review,"
Springer, vol. 93(3), pages 395-426, December.
- de Haan, Jakob, 1997. " The European Central Bank: Independence, Accountability and Strategy: A Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 93(3-4), pages 395-426, December.
- Berger, Helge & de Haan, Jakob & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W, 2000.
"Central Bank Independence: An Update of Theory and Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berger, Helge & de Haan, Jakob & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W, 2001. " Central Bank Independence: An Update of Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 3-40, February.
- Bevger, H. & Haan, J. de & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2000. "Central Bank Independence: An Update of Theory and Evidence," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-82768, Tilburg University.
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Bovenberg, A. Lans, 1997.
"Central bank independence and public debt policy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 873-894, May.
- Charles Wyplosz, 1997.
"EMU: Why and How It Might Happen,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 3-21, Fall.
- Alesina, Alberto & Stella, Andrea, 2010.
"The Politics of Monetary Policy,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 18, pages 1001-1054
- Avinash Dixit & Luisa Lambertini, 2003.
"Interactions of Commitment and Discretion in Monetary and Fiscal Policies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1522-1542, December.
- Avinash Dixit & Luisa Lambertini, 2003. "Interactions of Commitment and Discretion in Monetary and Fiscal Policies," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 575, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Christopher Crowe & Ellen E. Meade, 2007. "The Evolution of Central Bank Governance around the World," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 69-90, Fall.
- Ferré Carracedo, Montserrat & Manzano, Carolina, 2013. "Rational Partisan Theory with fiscal policy and an independent central bank," Working Papers 2072/211881, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Ferré Carracedo, Montserrat & García Fortuny, Judit & Manzano, Carolina, 2013. "The Conservativeness of the Central Bank when Institutional Quality is Poor," Working Papers 2072/222198, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Ferré Carracedo, Montserrat & Manzano, Carolina, 2013. "Independent Central Banks: Low inflation at no cost?: A model with fiscal policy," Working Papers 2072/222196, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.