Spatial market expansion through mergers
AbstractIn this paper we present a model that studies firm mergers in a spatial setting. A new model is formulated that addresses the issue of finding the number of branches that have to be eliminated by a firm after merging with another one, in order to maximize profits. The model is then applied to an example of bank mergers in the city of Barcelona. Finally, a variant of the formulation that introduces competition is presented together with some conclusions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 960.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Mergers; facility location; spatial competition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- J80 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Standards - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2006-04-22 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2006-04-22 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-IND-2006-04-22 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-URE-2006-04-22 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Serra & Rosa Colomé, 1998. "Consumer choice in competitive location models: Formulations and heuristics," Economics Working Papers 290, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Pilloff, Steven J, 1996. "Performance Changes and Shareholder Wealth Creation Associated with Mergers of Publicly Traded Banking Institutions," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 294-310, August.
- Daniel Serra & Charles Revelle, 1997. "Competitive location and pricing on networks," Economics Working Papers 219, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Avery, Robert B. & Bostic, Raphael W. & Calem, Paul S. & Canner, Glenn B., 1999. "Consolidation and bank branching patterns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 497-532, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.