Growth, Poverty and Inequality: From Washington Consensus to Inclusive Growth
AbstractThis paper reviews recent economic policy debates about the relationship between growth, poverty and inequality. These debates have tended to focus on whether market-led growth is sufficient to eliminate poverty and reduce inequality, or whether specific policies are necessary because untargeted growth may be insufficient or even perverse. The paper charts the degenerating outcomes of these debates, and the emergence of the inclusive growth (IG) paradigm within the World Bank. A critical examination of IG suggests that its weaknesses are best addressed through a more ambitious restatement of the pro-poor goals of economic policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs in its series Working Papers with number 100.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Macroeconomic policy; pro-poor policies; inclusive growth; World Bank; Washington Consensus;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- E64 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Incomes Policy; Price Policy
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2010-11-20 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-HAP-2010-11-20 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-MAC-2010-11-20 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carrera Troyano, Miguel & Muñoz de Bustillo, Rafael, 2013.
"Tres décadas de economía, ideología económica y políticas en la evolución de la pobreza y la desigualdad en América Latina
[Three decades of economics, economic ideology and policies in the ," MPRA Paper 51867, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Christina Wieser, 2011. "Determinants of the Growth Elasticity of Poverty Reduction. Why the Impact on Poverty Reduction is Large in Some Developing Countries and Small in Others," WIFO Working Papers 406, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Predrag Vasic).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.