The structure of services in Europe: a conceptual framework
AbstractThirty years ago, when the Treaty of Rome came into effect, agriculture and manufacturing dominated activity in the European Community (EC). Today, in every member state, services account for more production and employment than agriculture and manufacturing combined. The growing role of services in domestic economies is the result of both demand and supply factors. On the demand side, the major impetus has come from firms that have shifted from providing services they require `in-house' to purchasing these services outside the firm. On the supply side, the main factors have been technological change and deregulation. This paper is part of a study of the impact of 1992 on European service industries. Its purpose is to provide a methodological framework for analysing the structure of the market for services in Europe on the eve of 1992. The paper identifies three essential features that distinguish services from other economic activities. These features are used to examine in detail factors that determine the market structure of service industries. The conclusion offers conjectures about the future shape of service industries in Europe.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/8184.
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: European Economy (1993),p.83-97
Other versions of this item:
- Sapir, André, 1991. "The Structure of Services in Europe: A Conceptual Framework," CEPR Discussion Papers 498, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 1995.
"Tentative First Steps: An Assessment of the Uruguay Round Agreement on Services,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1150, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 1995. "Tentative first steps : an assessment of the Uruguay Round agreement on services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1455, The World Bank.
- Juan R. Cuadrado Roura & Luis Rubalcaba Bermejo, 2001. "Internationalization of service industries: a comparative approach," Working Papers 04/01, Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social.
- Ulrike Dennig, 1992. "Global financial liberalisation GATT, EC and OECD approaches," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 27(5), pages 230-236, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.