Economic integration and the diversification of regional exports: evidence from the Canadian-US free trade agreement
AbstractWe investigate the impact of Canada--U.S. trade integration on the degree of export diversification of the Canadian regions. Trade integration is captured through the decrease of trade-weighted tariffs that were boosted by implementation of the Canadian--U.S. Free Trade Agreement. We found strong evidence to support integration's long-run impact on the patterns of absolute exports diversification. Significantly, this new finding remains robust to the exclusion of the primary sectors and to the potential presence of unit root in the data. Our results lead us to support a positive long-run relationship between trade integration and export diversification. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/10417.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Journal of Economic Geography (2007) v.7 n° 1,p.93-111
Other versions of this item:
- Michel Beine & Serge Coulombe, 2007. "Economic integration and the diversification of regional exports: evidence from the Canadian--U.S. Free Trade Agreement," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(1), pages 93-111, January.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hajime Takatsuka & Dao-Zhi Zeng, 2011. "Economic Integration and Welfare: Manufacturing vs. Agricultural Markets," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1720, European Regional Science Association.
- Michel Beine & Charles S. Bos & Serge Coulombe, 2009.
"Does the Canadian Economy suffer from Dutch Disease?,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-096/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Beine, Michel & Bos, Charles S. & Coulombe, Serge, 2012. "Does the Canadian economy suffer from Dutch disease?," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 468-492.
- Michel Beine & Charles Bos & Serge Coulombe, 2009. "Does the Canadian economy suffer from Dutch Disease?," CREA Discussion Paper Series 09-06, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Michel Beine & Charles S. Bos & Serge Coulombe, 2009. "Does the Canadian Economy suffer from Dutch Disease?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-096/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Dick Nuwamanya Kamuganga, 2012. "What Drives Africa's Export Diversification?," IHEID Working Papers 15-2012, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Michael Jetter & Andrés Ramírez Hassan, 2013. "The roots of export diversification," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 010600, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Nicole Palan, 2010. "Measurement of Specialization – The Choice of Indices," FIW Working Paper series 062, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.