Evidence of neighborhood e?ects on educational performance in the chilean school voucher system
AbstractThis paper uses alternative measures of neighborhood quality to study its impact on student performance in school. The Chilean voucher-based education system allows us to test separately for neighborhood and traditional in-classroom peer effects, which have been traditionally empha- sized by the literature. We use the Human Development Index reported by United Nations, and the relative number of books in public libraries at the county level, to measure neighborhood quality. We ?nd that a 5 basis point increase in the HDI Index, is related to an increase of 1 to 4 points in the SIMCE test, depending on the speci?cation. The e?ect is equivalent to half a year increase in mothers education (one additional year achieves a 7 point increase in SIMCE scores). Interestingly, the e?ect remains when we look at the sample of random movers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number wp302.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
- J18 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Public Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2009-12-05 (Development)
- NEP-EDU-2009-12-05 (Education)
- NEP-HRM-2009-12-05 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2009-12-05 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LAM-2009-12-05 (Central & South America)
- NEP-URE-2009-12-05 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marina Bassi & Sergio Urzúa, 2010. "Educación en Chile: El desafío está en la calidad," IDB Publications 37998, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Huneeus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.