Heterodox Economics and Dissemination of Research through the Internet: the Experience of RePEc and NEP
AbstractWe study how the democratization of the diffusion of research through the Internet could have helped non traditional fields of research. The specific case we approach is Heterodox Economics as its pre-prints are disseminated through NEP, the email alert service of RePEc. Comparing heterodox and mainstream papers, we find that heterodox ones are quite systematically more downloaded, and particularly so when considering downloads per subscriber. We conclude that the Internet definitely helps heterodox research, also because other researcher get exposed to it. But there is still room for more participation by heterodox researchers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Connecticut, Department of Economics in its series Working papers with number 2008-17.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Connecticut 341 Mansfield Road, Unit 1063 Storrs, CT 06269-1063
Phone: (860) 486-4889
Fax: (860) 486-4463
Web page: http://www.econ.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
NEP; RePEc; heterodox economics; diffusion of research;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B50 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - General
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2008-06-13 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-EDU-2008-06-13 (Education)
- NEP-HPE-2008-06-13 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-ICT-2008-06-13 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-NET-2008-06-13 (Network Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2008-06-13 (Post Keynesian Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2008-06-13 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-SOG-2008-06-13 (Sociology of Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zimmermann, Christian, 2010.
"La dissémination de la recherche en sciences économiques: les « cahiers de recherche »
[Dissemination Research in Economics: the "Working Papers"]," MPRA Paper 21029, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kasey Kniffin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.