Morishima's nonlinear model of the cycle: simplifications and generalizations
AbstractMichio Morishima's nonlinear model of the trade cycle (Morishima, 1958) is simplified and generalized to show, by means of the Andronov-Hopf bifurcation theorem, the existence of a periodic orbit. In addition, an attempt is made to place Morishima's contribution in the broader tradition of the work of the Japanese School of Nonlinear Trade Cycle Theorists and to place this, in turn, within the context and development of the tradition of mathematical economics in early post-war Japan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia in its series Department of Economics Working Papers with number 0515.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
business cycles; nonlinear dynamics; endogenous cucles; bifurcation theory;
Other versions of this item:
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2005. "Morishima's Nonlinear Model of the Cycle: Simplifications and Generalizations," Working Papers 0095, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2005.
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, John R, 1974. "Real and Monetary Factors in Economic Fluctuations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 21(3), pages 205-14, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Andreozzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.