Uncertainty and the choice of quota program in a multi-product fishery
AbstractThis paper considers the design of individual quota programs for fisheries where more than one market class of fish is harvested and where a manager is uncertain about the fishing technology, prices, stock levels, and compliance. In particular, the paper considers three problems that follow from a manager's uncertainty and the multi-product nature of the fishery; discarding, ex ante uncertainty, and data fouling. Since multi-product fisheries and uncertainty are the norm, the issues addressed here are fundamental to fisheries regulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Toronto, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number mturner-01-01.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 11 Dec 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 150 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario
Phone: (416) 978-5283
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Turner, Matthew A., 1996.
Marine Resource Economics,
Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 11(2).
- Matthew A. Turner, 1998. "Optimal quota programs," Working Papers mturner-98-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1978. "Optimal Rewards for Economic Regulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 683-91, September.
- Johnson, Ronald N & Libecap, Gary D, 1982. "Contracting Problems and Regulation: The Case of the Fishery," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1005-22, December.
- Roberts, Marc J. & Spence, Michael, 1976. "Effluent charges and licenses under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 193-208.
- Turner, Matthew A., 1997. "Quota-Induced Discarding in Heterogeneous Fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 186-195, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePEc Maintainer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.