t-Tests in a Structural Equation with Many Instruments
AbstractThis paper studies the properties of t-ratios associated with the limited information maximum likelihood (LIML) estimators in a structural form estimation when the number of instrumental variables is large. Asymptotic expansions are made of the distributions of a large K t-ratio statistic under large-Kn asymptotics. A modified t-ratio statistic is proposed from the asymptotic expansion. The power of the large K t-ratio test dominates the AR test, the K-test by Kleibergen (2002), and the conditional LR test by Moreira (2003); and the difference can be substantial when the instruments are weak.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-467.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Kleibergen, 2005.
"Testing Parameters in GMM Without Assuming that They Are Identified,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1103-1123, 07.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2001. "Testing Parameters in GMM without Assuming that they are identified," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-067/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2003. "Asymptotic Expansions of the Distributions of Semi-Parametric Estimators in a Linear Simultaneous Equations System," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-237, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2003. "On Finite Sample Distributions of the Empirical Likelihood Estimator and the GMM Estimator," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-200, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Bekker, Paul A, 1994. "Alternative Approximations to the Distributions of Instrumental Variable Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 657-81, May.
- Morimune, Kimio, 1989. "Test in a Structural Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1341-60, November.
- Theodore W. Anderson & Naoto Kunijtomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2005. "A New Light from Old Wisdoms : Alternative Estimation Methods of Simultaneous Equations and Microeconometric Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-321, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "Improving the Rank-Adjusted Anderson-Rubin Test with Many Instruments and Persistent Heteroscedasticity," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-588, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On the Asymptotic Optimality of the LIML Estimator with Possibly Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-542, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2007. "Approximate Distributions of the Likelihood Ratio Statistic in a Structural Equation with Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-466, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.