On Mortality and Poverty: An Axiomatic Approach With A Modified Index
AbstractThe purpose of this note is to analyze a somewhat novel aspect of poverty measurement, namely the impact of premature deaths of poor people on measured poverty. The perverse results one could easily obtain theoretically can be illustrated by using the widely used headcount ratio index. The proposal for a correction offered here involves the introduction of a new axiom of biological stress (ABS) to handle the case of premature mortality among the poor specifically, and to address the issue of increasing biological stress generally. A new headcount ratio index adjusted for the specific biological stress leading to premature deaths among the poor is constructed. It is simple, consistent with ABS, and easy to estimate. It is hoped that given the relevance of the critical demographic variables already acknowledged in the literature, the new index will be of use to the poverty reduction specialists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-281.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ese:iserwp:2003-06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2004.
"Growth, Inequality And Poverty: Some Hard Questions,"
127133, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ravi Kanbur, 2004. "Growth, Inequality And Poverty: Some Hard Questions," Working Papers 157, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Ravi Kanbur & Diganta Mukherjee, 2007.
"Premature Mortality And Poverty Measurement,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 339-359, October.
- Ravi Kanbur & Diganta Mukherji, 2006. "Premature Mortality and Poverty Measurement," Working Papers id:707, eSocialSciences.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Mukherjee, Diganta, 2003. "Premature Mortality And Poverty Measurement," Working Papers 127197, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Kaushik Basu, 2003. "Analytical Development Economics: The Less Developed Economy Revisited," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262523442, December.
- Chakravarty, Satya R. & Kanbur, Ravi & Mukherjee, Diganta, 2002.
"Population Growth and Poverty Measurement,"
127303, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.