Long Term Loans and Investment in Japan: An Empirical Analysis Based on the Panel Data of Japanese Firms
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to investigate whether that the policy-based allocation of long-term funds played an important role in promoting the high economic growth in post-war Japan. Using the panel data functions of Japanese firms, we estimate Tobinfs Q investment functions in two different sample periods | 1972-84 and 1985-96. In 1972-84, we find that the long-term loan ratio had an additional positive effect on investment. In particular, the result holds true regardless of the size of corporate cash flows or the type of corporate groupings. However, in 1985-96, we cannot find that a higher ratio of long-term loans increased the Japanese firmfs investment. The result indicates that the size of long-term loans had a great influence on the firmfs investment only before the financial liberalization in Japan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-80.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2000-07-27 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2000-07-27 (Financial Markets)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- JINJI Naoto & ZHANG Xingyuan & HARUNA Shoji, 2011. "Does Tobin's q Matter for Firms' Choices of Globalization Mode?," Discussion papers 11061, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Mehdi Nekhili & Dhikra Chebbi Nekhili & Nicolas Vaillant, 2009. "What matters more in R&D and Capital Expenditures Financing by Japanese Firms:Multinationality or Bank Affiliation?," Working Papers FARGO 1090103, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.