National innovation systems: the emergence of a new approach
AbstractThe term ‘national innovation systems’ surfaced for the first time in print during the late 1980s and, in the years that followed, several important contributions on this topic appeared. This paper investigates the role that this new literature plays within innovation studies and the world of science more generally and discusses the sources for its emergence. With the help of expert assessments, the three most important contributions to the ‘national innovation systems’ literature are identified. Then the citations to these works in scholarly journals in the Web of Science are presented and the characteristics of the ‘national innovation systems’ literature, as compared with other areas of research, are analyzed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo in its series Working Papers on Innovation Studies with number 20111115.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Jan Fagerberg & Koson Sapprasert, 2011. "National innovation systems: the emergence of a new approach," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(9), pages 669-679, November.
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-11-21 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HME-2011-11-21 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INO-2011-11-21 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2011-11-21 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bajmócy, Zoltán & Vas, Zsófia, 2012.
"Az innovációs rendszerek 25 éve. Szakirodalmi áttekintés evolúciós közgazdaságtani megközelítésben
[25 years of innovation systems. A literature review from the angle of evolutionary ec," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(11), pages 1233-1256.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Fassio, Claudio, 2012. "University-industry relations and the evolution of knowledge governance. the italian evidence in the first part of the xx century," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201212, University of Turin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (H&kon Normann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.