Closed models and open systems
AbstractThe title of this paper may suggest a specific focus on the possibilities and problems of matching closed models and open systems; however, although the relationships between systems and the models that we seek to apply to them are indeed the primary topics, there is no assumption that all systems are open and all models closed. Instead, I shall be taking readers on a tour of other people’s ideas about openness and closure in our attempts to make sense of our environment and ourselves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by SCEME in its series SCEME Working Papers: Advances in Economic Methodology with number 004/2003.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2003
Date of revision:
open-systems; knowledge; uncertainty; psychology;
Other versions of this item:
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Davide Consoli & Ronnie Ramlogan, 2008. "Out of sight: problem sequences and epistemic boundaries of medical know-how on glaucoma," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 31-56, February.
- Andrew Mearman, 2010. "What is this thing called ‘heterodox economics’?," Working Papers 1006, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Ghosh, Dipak & Ruziev, Kobil, 2008. "Cost-Determined and Demand-Determined Prices: Lessons for the Industrialised World from Development Economics," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2008-22, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Victoria Chick & Sheila Dow, 2005. "The meaning of open systems," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 363-381.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthias Klaes) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Matthias Klaes to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.