Innovation and market dynamics: A two-mode network approach to user-producer relation
AbstractIn this paper we propose a new mental representation of how markets, technology and their interaction concur in explaining the why of a certain innovation instead of another. We empirically test this theory in the telecommunication switches industry. We consider innovation as a new alignment of needs and opportunities, where markets and technology are not the sources, but the actors in this alignment process. In order to accomplish this task, we suggest proxies for technological opportunities, market needs, and, at the same time, for interactions of these two elements. We make use of a statistical tool that grasps the matching nature of this interactive phenomenon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy in its series LEM Papers Series with number 2012/09.
Date of creation: 06 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
user-producer interaction; two-mode network; telecommunication manufacturing industry;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-06-25 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-06-25 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2012-06-25 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-NET-2012-06-25 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frenken, Koen & Saviotti, Paolo P. & Trommetter, Michel, 1999. "Variety and niche creation in aircraft, helicopters, motorcycles and microcomputers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 469-488, June.
- Arianna Martinelli, 2011. "An emerging paradigm or just another trajectory? Understanding the nature of technological changes using engineering heuristics in the telecommunications switching industry," LEM Papers Series 2011/05, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Carolina Castaldi & Roberto Fontana & Alessandro Nuvolari, 2006.
"'Chariots of Fire': The Evolution of Tank Technology, 1915-1945,"
LEM Papers Series
2006/03, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Carolina Castaldi & Roberto Fontana & Alessandro Nuvolari, 2009. "‘Chariots of fire’: the evolution of tank technology, 1915–1945," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 545-566, August.
- Carolina Castaldi & Roberto Fontana & Alessandro Nuvolari, 2006. "‘Chariots of Fire’:The Evolution of Tank Technology, 1915-1945," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 06-02, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS), revised Feb 2006.
- Roberto Fontana & Marco Guerzoni, 2007.
"Incentives and uncertainty: an empirical analysis of the impact of demand on innovation,"
SPRU Working Paper Series
163, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Roberto Fontana & Marco Guerzoni, 2008. "Incentives and uncertainty: an empirical analysis of the impact of demand on innovation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(6), pages 927-946, November.
- Mina, A. & Ramlogan, R. & Tampubolon, G. & Metcalfe, J.S., 2007. "Mapping evolutionary trajectories: Applications to the growth and transformation of medical knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 789-806, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.