Liquidity in the Foreign Exchange Market: Measurement, Commonality, and Risk Premiums
AbstractThis paper develops a liquidity measure tailored to the foreign exchange (FX) market, quantifies the amount of commonality in liquidity across exchange rates, and determines the extent of liquidity risk premiums embedded in FX returns. The new liquidity measure utilizes ultra high frequency data and captures cross-sectional and temporal variation in FX liquidity during the financial crisis of 2007-2008. Empirical results show that liquidity co-moves across currency pairs and that systematic FX liquidity decreases dramatically during the crisis. Extending an asset pricing model for FX returns by the novel liquidity risk factor suggests that liquidity risk is heavily priced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss National Bank in its series Working Papers with number 2010-03.
Length: 65 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Börsenstrasse 15, P. O. Box, CH - 8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 44 631 31 11
Fax: +41 44 631 39 11
Web page: http://www.snb.ch/en/ifor/research/
More information through EDIRC
foreign exchange market; measuring liquidity; commonality in liquidity; liquidity risk premium; subprime crisis;
Other versions of this item:
- Loriano Mancini & Angelo Ranaldo & Jan Wrampelmeyer, 2013. "Liquidity in the Foreign Exchange Market: Measurement, Commonality, and Risk Premiums," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 68(5), pages 1805-1841, October.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Philippe Mueller & Andreas Stathopoulos & Andrea Vedolin, .
"International Correlation Risk,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp716, Financial Markets Group.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Velo, Gabriel G., 2014. "Precious Metals Under the Microscope: A High-Frequency Analysis," Working Papers on Finance 1409, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Mathias Hoffmann & Rahel Suter, 2013. "Systematic consumption risk in currency returns," ECON - Working Papers 124, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Karnaukh, Nina & Ranaldo, Angelo & Söderlind, Paul, 2013. "Understanding FX Liquidity," Working Papers on Finance 1315, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Mancini, Loreano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Wrampelmeyer, Jan, 2013. "The Euro Interbank Repo Market," Working Papers on Finance 1316, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Raza, Ahmad & Marshall, Ben R. & Visaltanachoti, Nuttawat, 2014. "Is there momentum or reversal in weekly currency returns?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 38-60.
- Rossi, José Luiz Júnior, 2014. "The Usefulness of Financial Variables in Predicting Exchange Rate Movements," Insper Working Papers wpe_332, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Richard G. Anderson & Jane M. Binner & Björn Hagströmer & Birger Nilsson, 2013.
"Does commonality in illiquidity matter to investors?,"
2013-020, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Anderson, Richard G. & Binner, Jane M. & Hagströmer, Björn & Nilsson, Birger, 2013. "Does Commonality in Illiquidity Matter to Investors?," Working Papers 2013:24, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Velo, Gabriel G., 2013. "Stylized Facts and Dynamic Modeling of High-frequency Data on Precious Metals," Working Papers on Finance 1318, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Rossi, José Luiz Júnior, 2013. "Liquidity and Exchange Rates," Insper Working Papers wpe_325, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Michael King & Carol Osler & Dagfinn Rime, 2012.
"The Market Microstructure Approach to Foreign Exchange: Looking Back and Looking Forward,"
54, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- King, Michael R. & Osler, Carol L. & Rime, Dagfinn, 2013. "The market microstructure approach to foreign exchange: Looking back and looking forward," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 95-119.
- Michael R. King & Carol Osler & Dagfinn Rime, 2013. "The market microstructure approach to foreign exchange - Looking back and looking forward," Working Paper 2013/12, Norges Bank.
- Banti, Chiara & Phylaktis, Kate & Sarno, Lucio, 2012. "Global liquidity risk in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 267-291.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enzo Rossi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.