The Impact of Redistribution on Income Inequality in Canada and the Provinces, 1981-2010
AbstractThe objective of this report is to provide an overview of trends in income inequality, defined as the Gini coefficient, in Canada and the provinces over the 1981-2010 period and to investigate the impact of redistributive policies – namely, taxes and transfers – on these trends.Income inequality is measured in terms of market income, total income, and after-tax income, with the latter considered the most important from a well-being perspective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its series CSLS Research Reports with number 2012-08.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-LTV-2012-10-20 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-PBE-2012-10-20 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael R. Veall, 2012.
"Top income shares in Canada: recent trends and policy implications,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1247-1272, November.
- Michael R. Veall, 2012. "Top Income Shares in Canada: Recent Trends and Policy Implications," Department of Economics Working Papers 2012-11, McMaster University.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Daniel T. Slesnick, 2012. "Measuring Social Welfare in the U.S. National Accounts," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Economic Sustainability and Progress National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicole Fortin & David A. Green & Thomas Lemieux & Kevin Milligan & W. Craig Riddell, 2012.
"Canadian Inequality: Recent Developments and Policy Options,"
Canadian Public Policy,
University of Toronto Press, vol. 38(2), pages 121-145, June.
- Fortin, Nicole M. & Green, David A. & Lemieux, Thomas & Milligan, Kevin & Riddell, W. Craig, 2012. "Canadian Inequality: Recent Development and Policy Options," CLSRN Working Papers clsrn_admin-2012-18, UBC Department of Economics, revised 30 May 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.