La competitividad internacional de la industria vinícola española durante la globalización del vino
AbstractThis paper analyzes the international competitiveness of the Spanish wine industry at the stage of 'wine globalization'. The comparative advantage through the Revealed Competitive Advantage Index (RCA) or Balassa Index and the behavior of the wines types, and the relative weight of exports in volume, value and unit prices in the world market since the 1960's are examined. The article reports the exports increasing of bottled quality wines with Appellations of Origen and, overall, wine exports growth in recent decades. Spanish wine industry has become a net exporter, challenging the fall in domestic consumption and increased foreign competition; however, the bases of its competitiveness are low-cost wines, quality economic wines, and particularly the bulk wines, which show higher dynamism in the last decade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria in its series Documentos de Trabajo de la Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria with number 1203.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Revealed Competitive Advantage (RCA); Wine world market; Spanish wine industry; International trade; Competitiveness;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
- N74 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services - - - Europe: 1913-
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-05-02 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-HIS-2012-05-02 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lidón París Folch).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.