Social Capital in Making Decentralised Governance Effective: A Study in West Bengal
AbstractSocial capital has begun to generate a remarkable consensus regarding the role and importance of social organisations in making decentralised governance effective. This paper proposes to understand the possible role of social capital in the context of a field study. The study shows that there is correlation between social capital and decentralised governance and suggests that the formation of social capital is necessary and can be done by extending aid to self-help groups, NGOs, and cooperative organisations
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore in its series Working Papers with number 141.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Decentralization; Social Capital; West Bengal;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krishna, Anirudh, 2001. "Moving from the Stock of Social Capital to the Flow of Benefits: The Role of Agency," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 925-943, June.
- Md. Nazrul Islam & S N Sangita, 2003. "Decentralised Governance and People's Participation: Lessons from West Bengal," Working Papers 131, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Woolcock, Michael & Narayan, Deepa, 2000. "Social Capital: Implications for Development Theory, Research, and Policy," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 225-49, August.
- Heller, Patrick, 1996. "Social capital as a product of class mobilization and state intervention: Industrial workers in Kerala, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1055-1071, June.
- Blair, Harry, 2000. "Participation and Accountability at the Periphery: Democratic Local Governance in Six Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 21-39, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B B Chand).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.