Bank's Liquidity Demand in the Presence of a Lender of Last Resort
AbstractI use a natural experiment to estimate the effect that a Lender of Last Resort has on banks’ liquidity demand. In December 1996 Argentina’s Central Bank signed with a group of international banks a contingent credit line agreement that enhanced its ability to act as a LLR. I run difference-in-difference regressions of the effect of the announcement of the insurance contract on banks’ liquidity holdings, using ownership status and size to identify the groups of treatment and control banks. Finally I rule out general equilibrium feedback effects through the interbank market between control and treatment banks. Results indicate a reduction of approximately 6.7 percentage points in banks’ liquidity holdings in the presence of a LLR.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia in its series Working Papers with number 61.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2003
Date of revision: Sep 2003
banks; liquidity; demand; lender; last resort;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo Alger & Ingela Alger, 1999. "Liquid Assets in Banks: Theory and Practice," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 446, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1998.
"Private and Public Supply of Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(1), pages 1-40, February.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1996. "Private and Public Supply of Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 5817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holmstrom, B & Tirole, J, 1996. "Private and Public Supply of Liquidity," Working papers 96-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, June.
- Miron, Jeffrey A, 1986. "Financial Panics, the Seasonality of the Nominal Interest Rate, and theFounding of the Fed," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 125-40, March.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, June.
- Gerald Caprio & Michael Dooley & Danny Leipziger & Carl Walsh, 1996.
"The lender of last resort function under a currency board: The case of Argentina,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 625-650, March.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Dooley, Michael & Leipziger, Danny & Walsh, Carl, 1996. "The lender of last resort function under a currency board : the case of Argentina," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1648, The World Bank.
- Angrist, Joshua D. & Krueger, Alan B., 1999.
"Empirical strategies in labor economics,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 23, pages 1277-1366
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- repec:pri:indrel:780 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Vives, Xavier, 2004.
"Coordination Failures and the Lender of Last Resort : Was Bagehot Right After All?,"
IDEI Working Papers
294, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Xavier Vives, 2004. "Coordination Failures and the Lender of Last Resort: Was Bagehot Right After All?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 1116-1147, December.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Xavier Vives, 2002. "Coordination Failures and the Lender of Last Resort: Was Bagehot Right After All?," FMG Discussion Papers dp408, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean Charles & Vives, Xavier, 2002. "Coordination Failures and the Lender of Last Resort: Was Bagehot Right After All?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Vives, Xavier, 2002. "Coordination failures and the lender of last resort : was Bagehot right after all?," HWWA Discussion Papers 184, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1999.
"Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Co-Existence of Lending and Deposit-Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
6962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Coexistence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 33-73, 02.
- Anil Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy S. Stein, 1998. "Banks as liquidity providers: an explanation for the co-existence of lending and deposit-taking," Proceedings 582, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Alain Ize & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005.
"Financial De-Dollarization: Is It for Real?,"
Business School Working Papers
isitforreal, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Ratnovski, Lev, 2013.
"Liquidity and transparency in bank risk management,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 422-439.
- Lev Ratnovski, 2013. "Liquidity and Transparency in Bank Risk Management," IMF Working Papers 13/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Roberto Cortes Conde, 2008. "Spanish America Colonial Patterns: The Rio de La Plata," Working Papers 96, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Mar 2008.
- Acharya, Viral V & Shin, Hyun Song & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2007. "Fire Sales, Foreign Entry and Bank Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6309, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral & Song Shin, Hyun & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2009. "Endogenous choice of bank liquidity: the role of fire sales," Bank of England working papers 376, Bank of England.
- Rafael Repullo, 2005.
"Liquidity, Risk Taking, and the Lender of Last Resort,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(2), September.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2005. "Liquidity, Risk Taking, and the Lender of Last Resort," MPRA Paper 826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rafael Repullo, 2005. "Liquidity, Risk-Taking, And The Lender Of Last Resort," Working Papers wp2005_0504, CEMFI.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2005. "Liquidity, Risk-Taking and the Lender of Last Resort," CEPR Discussion Papers 4967, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamara Sulaque) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Tamara Sulaque to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.