South Africaâ€™s Electricity Consumption: A Sectoral Decomposition Analysis
AbstractSouth Africa's electricity consumption has increased sharply since the early 1990s. Here we conduct a sectoral decomposition analysis of the electricity consumption for the period 1993 to 2006, to determine the main drivers of this increase. The results show that the increase was due mainly to output- or production-related factors, with structural changes playing a secondary role. While there is some evidence of efficiency improvements, indicated here as a slowdown in the rate of increase in electricity intensity, it was not nearly sufficient to offset the combined production and structural effects that propelled electricity consumption higher.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Southern Africa in its series Working Papers with number 203.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Newlands on Main, F0301 3rd Floor Mariendahl House, cnr Campground and Main Rds, Claremont, 7700 Cape Town
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2011-04-09 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-04-09 (Energy Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vaona, Andrea, 2013.
"The sclerosis of regional electricity intensities in Italy: An aggregate and sectoral analysis,"
Applied Energy, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 880-889.
- Andrea Vaona, 2012. "The sclerosis of regional electricity intensities in Italy: an aggregate and sectoral analysis," Working Papers, University of Verona, Department of Economics 18/2012, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Roula Inglesi-Lotz, 2012. "The sensitivity of the South African industrial sector’s electricity consumption to electricity price fluctuations," Working Papers 201225, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoemna Mosaval).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.