Public Support for the Financing of RD&D Activities in New Clean Energy Technologies
AbstractSeveral market failures, as well as other technical, economic and regulatory barriers to the market penetration of clean energy technologies result in under-investment of private innovators in RD&D. Therefore, public support is needed in order to induce innovations. Policy tools creating market conditions that are attractive for the exploitation of clean technologies (market pull) must be combined with other tools directly supporting the development of these technologies through the provision of public funds (technology push). Thereby, financing policy instruments should be chosen so that their characteristics match with those of the specific innovation process being targeted at the same time that social welfare is maximized. We develop an analytical framework to define the form of public support and to provide recommendations on the optimal choice of both technology push and market pull instruments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series RSCAS Working Papers with number 2010/69.
Date of creation: 17 Sep 2010
Date of revision:
clean energy technologies; innovation finance; public support; technology push; market pull;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-01-23 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-INO-2011-01-23 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Michel Glachant & Haikel Khalfallah & Yannick Perez & Vincent Rious & Marcelo Saguan, 2013. "Implementing incentive regulation through an alignment with resource bounded regulators," Post-Print halshs-00767872, HAL.
- J-M- Glachant & H. Khalfallah & Y. Perez & V. Rious & M. Saguan, 2013.
"Implementing Incentive Regulation and Regulatory Alignment with Resource Bounded Regulators,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 14(3), pages 265-291, September.
- Jean-Michel Glachant, Haikel Khalfallah, Yannick Perez, Vincent Rious and Marcelo Saguan, 2012. "Implementing Incentive Regulation and Regulatory Alignment with Resource Bounded Regulators," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/31, European University Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.