Balance Sheet Effects in Currency Crises: Evidence from Brazil
AbstractIn third generation currency crises models, balance sheet losses from currency depreciations propagate the crises into the real sector of the economy. To test these models, we built a firmlevel database that allowed us to measure currency mismatches around the 2002 Brazilian currency crisis. We found that between 2001 and 2003, firms with large currency mismatches just before the crisis reduced their investment rates 8.1 percentage points more than other publicly held firms. We also showed that the currency depreciation increased exporters revenue, but those with currency mismatches reduced investments 12.5 percentage points more than other exporters. These estimated reductions in investment are economically very significant, underscoring the importance of negative balance sheet effects in currency crises. Jel Codes:F32; F34; G31; G32
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 556.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225, 22453-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Phone: 021 35271078
Fax: 021 35271084
Web page: http://www.econ.puc-rio.br
More information through EDIRC
Investment; Balance sheets; Currency crises; Hedge; Financial constraints.;
Other versions of this item:
- Marcio M. Janot & Márcio G. P. Garcia & Walter Novaes, 2008. "Balance Sheet Effects in Currency Crises: Evidence from Brazil," Working Papers Series 162, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-04-21 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2008-04-21 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2008-04-21 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-04-21 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mariann Endrész & Gyõzõ Gyöngyösi & Péter Harasztosi, 2012. "Currency mismatch and the sub-prime crisis: firm-level stylised facts from Hungary," MNB Working Papers 2012/8, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.