Can the Life Insurance Market Provide Evidence for a Bequest Motive?
AbstractUsing U.K. microeconomic data, we analyze the empirical determinants of participation in the life insurance market. We find that term insurance demand is positively correlated with measures of bequest motives like being married, having children and/or subjective measures of strong bequest motives. We then show that a life-cycle model of life insurance demand, saving and portfolio choice can rationalize quantitatively the data in the presence of a bequest motive. These findings provide evidence supporting the presence of a bequest motive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2011 Meeting Papers with number 108.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Joachim Inkmann & Alexander Michaelides, 2012. "Can the Life Insurance Market Provide Evidence for a Bequest Motive?," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 79(3), pages 671-695, 09.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sule Alan, 2005.
"Entry costs and stock market participation over the life cycle,"
IFS Working Papers
W05/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Sule Alan, 2006. "Entry Costs and Stock Market Participation over the Life Cycle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(4), pages 588-611, October.
- Sule Alan, 2005. "Entry Costs and Stock Market Participation Over the Life Cycle," Working Papers 2005_1, York University, Department of Economics.
- Sule Alan, 2005. "Entry Costs and Stock Market Participation Over the Life Cycle," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 126, McMaster University.
- Mariacristina De Nardi, 2004.
"Wealth Inequality and Intergenerational Links,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 743-768.
- Mariacristina deNardi, 2000. "Wealth Inequality and Intergenerational Links," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0547, Econometric Society.
- Mariacristina De Nardi, 2002. "Wealth inequality and intergenerational links," Staff Report 314, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Joachim Inkmann & Paula Lopes & Alexander Michaelides, 2011.
"How Deep Is the Annuity Market Participation Puzzle?,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(1), pages 279-319.
- Paula Lopes & Alex Michaelides & Joachim Inkmann, 2009. "How deep is the annuity market participation puzzle?," 2009 Meeting Papers 239, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Joachim Inkmann & Paula Lopes & Alexander Michaelides, 2009. "How Deep is the Annuity Market Participation Puzzle?," Working Papers 2009-5, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Inkmann, Joachim & Lopes, Paula & Michaelides, Alexander, 2010. "How Deep is the Annuity Market Participation Puzzle?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7940, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lee Lockwood, 2012.
"Bequest Motives and the Annuity Puzzle,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 15(2), pages 226-243, April.
- Lee Lockwood, 2011. "Code files for "Bequest Motives and the Annuity Puzzle"," Computer Codes 10-110, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Ralph Koijen & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh & Motohiro Yogo, 2011.
"Health and Mortality Delta: Assessing the Welfare Cost of Household Insurance Choice,"
NBER Working Papers
17325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh & Motohiro Yogo & Ralph S. J. Koijen, 2011. "Health and Mortality Delta: Assessing the Welfare Cost of Household Insurance Choice," 2011 Meeting Papers 633, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh & Motohiro Yogo & Ralph S.J. Koijen, 2009. "Optimal Health and Longevity Insurance," 2009 Meeting Papers 185, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Arun, Thankom & Bendig, Mirko & Arun, Shoba, 2012. "Bequest Motives and Determinants of Micro Life Insurance in Sri Lanka," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1700-1711.
- Bendig, Mirko & Arun, Thankom, 2011. "Enrolment in Micro Life and Health Insurance: Evidences from Sri Lanka," IZA Discussion Papers 5427, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.