VAR Forecasting Models of the Australian Economy: A Preliminary Analysis
AbstractVector autoregressions (VARs) have been proposed as good forecasting models of macroeconomic variables. This paper presents three naive VAR models of the Australian economy estimated on quarterly data for fifteen variables to 1985(4). Their performance in “forecasting” the calendar and financial year outcomes for 1986–87 (on an ex-ante basis) is compared with that of three sets of private sector forecasts, the 1986–87 Budget forecasts and the actual outcomes from the same period. In general, the VAR forecasts perform at least as well or better than comparable private sector forecasts. Each VAR model is estimated using a different method for allowing for trends in the data. The detrending procedure is an important determinant of the quality of forecasts, with the best forecasts produced by the two models which employ detrending processes appropriate for data which follow a random walk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Reserve Bank of Australia in its series RBA Research Discussion Papers with number rdp8802.
Date of creation: Jan 1988
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Trevor, R G & Thorp, S J, 1988. "VAR Forecasting Models of the Australian Economy: A Preliminary Analysis," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(0), pages 108-20, Supplemen.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter M. Summers, 1999. "Macroeconomic Forecasting at the Melbourne Institute," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 32(2), pages 197-205.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Naveen Chandra, 1996.
"The information content of financial aggregates in Australia,"
96-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Naveen Chandra, 1996. "The Information Content of Financial Aggregates in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9606, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Kim, Jae H., 1999. "Asymptotic and bootstrap prediction regions for vector autoregression," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 393-403, October.
- Dungey, Mardi & Pagan, Adrian, 2000. "A Structural VAR Model of the Australian Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 76(235), pages 321-42, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1995. "Automated Forecasts of Asia-Pacific Economic Activity," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1103, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Meredith Beechey & P�R �Sterholm, 2008. "A Bayesian Vector Autoregressive Model with Informative Steady-state Priors for the Australian Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(267), pages 449-465, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paula Drew).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.