Human Development: Definitions, Critiques, and Related Concepts
AbstractThe purpose of this background paper is i) to synthesize the discussions regarding the concept of human development, so as to inform the 2010 Report’s definition, and ii) drawing on the extensive policy and academic literatures, to propose relationships between the concept of human development and four related concepts: the Millennium Development Goals, Human Rights, Human Security, and Happiness. Inequality, the duration of outcomes across time, and environmental sustainability are also prominent due to their fundamental importance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford in its series OPHI Working Papers with number ophiwp036.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Queen Elizabeth House 3 Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TB United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (1865) 281800
Fax: +44 (1865) 281801
Web page: http://ophi.qeh.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Sabina Alkire, 2010. "Human Development: Definitions, Critiques, and Related Concepts," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-01, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- A13 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Social Values
- B5 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches
- B2 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925
- F0 - International Economics - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lant Pritchett, 2010. "Birth Satisfaction Units (BSU): Measuring Cross-National Differences in Human Well-Being," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-03, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Husain, Zakir & Dutta, Mousumi & Saha, Manashi, 2011. "Gender disparities in primary education across siblings: is intra household disparity higher in regions with low child sex ratios?," MPRA Paper 30791, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gries,Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and Human Development: A Capability Approach,"
Working Paper Series
wp2010-68, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gries, Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and human development: A capability approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 216-224.
- Gries, Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and human development: A capability approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3-4), pages 216-224, April.
- Jürgen Volkert & Friedrich Schneider, 2011. "The Application of the Capability Approach to High-Income OECD Countries: A Preliminary Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 3364, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rachel Crawford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.