Inter-party vote movements in Turkey between 1999 and 2002: A statistical analysis using cross-provincial election data
AbstractIn the 2002 Turkish parliamentary election, more than half of the voters cast their ballots for a party different than the one they chose in 1999. The outcomes of these elections are analyzed at the provincial level, through a system of regression equations. The results obtained indicate that votes moved from the Virtue, Nationalist Action, Motherland and True Path parties to the Justice and Development Party, from the Democratic Left Party to the Republican People’s and Young parties, and from the Democratic Left, Nationalist Action and Motherland parties to the True Path Party. The Justice and Development Party, the ruling party since 2002, is found to have captured all of the far-right Islamist, about half of the far-right nationalist, and half of the center-right votes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9627.
Date of creation: 07 Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Elections; Voter behavior; Party preference; Turkey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2008-07-30 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-CWA-2008-07-30 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-POL-2008-07-30 (Positive Political Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ali T. Akarca & Aysit Tansel, 2008.
"Impact of the 1999 Earthquakes on the Outcome of the 2002 Parliamentary Election in Turkey,"
ERC Working Papers
0801, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Apr 2008.
- Akarca, Ali T. & Tansel, Aysit, 2008. "Impact of the 1999 Earthquakes on the Outcome of the 2002 Parliamentary Election in Turkey," IZA Discussion Papers 3466, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cem Baslevent, 2013. "Socio-demographic determinants of the support for Turkey's Justice and Development Party," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1215-1228.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.